Charles Ruggieri, PhD
Charles (“Chaz”) Ruggieri is a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the School of Arts and Sciences and the Department of Physics and Astronomy. He earned his Ph.D. in experimental surface and interface physics from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey in New Brunswick, NJ, and his B.S. degree in physics from The College of New Jersey in Ewing, NJ.
Chaz currently serves as a member of the TRIAD Coalition within SAS’s Office of STEM Education. He collaborates with faculty members in the Department of Physics and Astronomy to transform courses and evaluate transformations. He facilitates interdisciplinary faculty workshops to engage faculty in educational practices backed by education research literature.
Chaz is a physics educator who aims to help students regain their inherent drive for observation and discovery, as well as improve their understanding and use of mathematics within the context of physics and motivate students grow as independent learners.
- 2018 Open and Affordable Textbook Award, Rutgers University Libraries
- Ruggieri, C., Andres, D., Etkina, E., Brahmia, S., Large-Enrollment Course Transformation Centered on ISLE Labs: Measurable Learning Objectives Help Develop a Shared Vision with non-PER Faculty. In preparation.
- Rangan, S., Ruggieri, C., Bartynski, R.A., Martinez, J.I., Flores, F., Ortega, J., Chemical Interaction for a TTF/ TiO2 Interface. In preparation.
- Martinez, J.I., Flores, F., Ortega, J., Rangan, S., Ruggieri, C., Bartynski, R.A., Unveiling universal trends for the energy level alignment in organic/oxide interfaces. Published – Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2017, 19, 24412-24420.
- Rangan, S., Ruggieri, C., Bartynski, R.A., Martinez, J.I., Flores, F., Ortega, J., Adsorption Geometry and Energy Level Alignment at the PTCDA/ TiO2(110) Interface. Published – J. Phys. Chem. B, Publication Date (Web) June 20, 2017.
- Rangan, S., Ruggieri, C., Bartynski, R.A., Martinez, J.I., Flores, F., Ortega, J., Densely-packed ZnTPPs Monolayer on the Rutile TiO2(110)-(1x1) Surface: Adsorption Behavior and Energy Level Alignment. Published – J. Phys. Chem. C, 2016, 120 (8), 4430-4437.
- Ruggieri, C., Rangan, S., Bartynski, R.A., Galoppini, E., Zinc(II) Tetraphenylporphyrin on Ag(100) and Ag(111): Multilayer Desorption and Dehydrogenation. Published – J. Phys. Chem. C, 2016, 120 (14), 7575-7585.
- Martinez, J.I., Flores, F., Ortega, J., Rangan, S., Ruggieri, C., Bartynski, R.A., Chemical Interaction, Space-Charge Layer and Molecule Charging Energy for a TiO2/TCNQ Interface. Published – J. Phys. Chem. C, 2015, 119 (38), 22086-22091.
- Ruggieri, C., Rangan, S., Bartynski, R.A., Galoppini, E., Zinc Tetraphenylporphyrin Adsorption on Au(111): an Interplay between Molecular Self-Assembly and Surface Stress. Published – J. Phys. Chem. C, 2015, 119 (11), 6101-6110.
Professional Experiences & Service
- American Association of Physics Teachers member (2013-present)
- American Vacuum Society member (2010-present)
- American Physical Society member (2009-present)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society member - TCNJ Chapter (2009-present)
Courses Taught (*Lecturer, **Graduate TA)
- Peer Instruction Education (01:090:322) - Fall 2016*, Fall 2017*
- Extended Analytical Physics IA, IB - AY 2010-11**, AY 2011-12**, AY 2016-17*, AY 2017-18*
- General Physics 203 - Summer 2011**
- General Physics Lab 206 - Summer 2010**
Awards and Honors
- Open and Affordable Textbook Award - Rutgers University Libraries (2018)
- Peter Lindenfeld Graduate Fellowship -- “to the graduate student who embodies and exemplifies the teacher-scholar model of learning pioneered by Professor Lindenfeld” (2015-2016)
- 75th Physical Electronics Conference 1st Place Poster Presentation (2015)
- American Physical Society March Meeting 2014 Image Gallery Contribution (2014)
- American Association of Physics Teachers Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (2013)
- Richard J. Plano Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award (2010-2011, 2011-2012)
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society Inductee - TCNJ Chapter (2009)
Selected Conference Presentations
- 2017 Annual Meeting of the APS Mid-Atlantic Section – Contributed Talk “Facilitating and Assessing the Development of Scientific Abilities and Habits of Mind: Introductory E&M and Modern Physics Course Transformation around ISLE Labs and Measurable Learning Objectives”
- National College Learning Center Association National Conference 2017 – Contributor “Investigating Changes in Academic Peer Leaders’ Skills, Practices, Attitudes, and Content Knowledge”
- Physics Education Research Conference 2017 – Invited Poster “A large-enrollment course transformation centered on ISLE labs: learning objectives help develop a shared vision with non-PER faculty”
- American Association of Physics Teachers 2017 Summer Meeting – Contributed Poster “Catalyzing Sustained Transformations in a Large Enrollment Introductory Electromagnetism Course”
- 76th Physical Electronics Conference, University of Arkansas – Contributed Talk “Zinc(II) Tetraphenylporphyrin on Ag(100) and Ag(111): Molecular Ordering and Dehydrogenation”
- American Vacuum Society, AVS 62nd International Symposium and Exhibition, San Jose, California – Contributed Talk “TCNQ and ZnTPP on TiO2(110): Organic-Oxide Interaction and Electronic Energy Level Alignment.”
- American Vacuum Society, AVS 61st International Symposium and Exhibition, Baltimore, Maryland – Contributed Talk “Adsorption Behavior of Zinc Tetraphenylporphyrin Molecules on a Au(111) Surface.”
- American Physical Society, APS March Meeting 2014 Conference, Denver, Colorado – Contributed Talk “Adsorption Geometry of ZnTPP Molecules on Au(111): Self-Assembly and Surface Interaction.”
- American Physical Society, APS March Meeting 2013 Conference, Baltimore, Maryland – Contributed Talk “Energy Alignment at Organic/Oxide and Organic/Metal Interfaces: The Effects of Molecular Overlayer Thickness on the HOMO/LUMO Gap and Interfacial Dipole.”